mariPOC® COVID-19 tests
Easy work flow
- 20 minutes: > 90% of positive samples are reported, allowing making quarantine and clinical decisions without delay.
- 55 minutes: Low positive and negative results are reported
Typically the sampling is done by taking a flocked swab sample from the nasopharynx. Sample pretreatment, prior to automated analysis, is done safely in a closed primary container and is easy to do with short hands-on-time.
What are the differences between the SARS-CoV-2 tests available on the market?
The three main types of tests for SARS-CoV-2 detection currently available on the market are PCR-gene tests, antibody tests and antigen tests. Their technical difference lies in which molecule they detect:
- Antibody tests detect the response of the patient’s immune system
- PCR-gene tests detect the genetic material of the virus
- Antigen tests detect the proteins of the virus
With different targets, the tests have different clinical uses:
- Antibody tests are designed to determine whether a patient has been infected by SARS-CoV-2 in the past.
- With its extreme sensitivity, PCR-gene tests are designed so that negative results rule out infections with high probability. However, residues of viral genes can be found from the patients long after the infection has been cleared. Indeed, false positive results with this method are common when used to assess infectiousness.
- Antigen tests are the only rapid test type designed to detect infectious individuals. Thus, they are perfectly adapted for the screening of the community and diagnostics of acute infections.
mariPOC® COVID-19 test perfectly meets the requirements of an ideal disease and screening test. It is easy-to-use, requires short hands-on time, provides quick results and can be performed at the point of sampling.